Monday, August 20, 2012

Happy Birthday To You

Dear Sebastian,

Happy birthday sweet baby boy! You are now officially one. And my mind is officially blown. A year ago you were lifted onto my chest all angry and bloody. I snuggled you close, kissed you all over, and you pooped on me. :0) I can't believe it. Time has truly flown. 

And you walked. I would have denied it, but there were witnesses. I had a cup that you wanted and you were standing unsupported in front of me. You slowly lifted up your right foot and took a step towards me, then did the same with your left foot. Part of me was so, so proud. Part of me was horrified. I was really starting to believe that you were going to wait until Daddy got home. 

Please don't get me wrong, I was so excited and proud for you, but I also knew I was going to have to tell your Daddy and that he was going to be very sad, even though he'd be proud. You won't understand this for years, but it is very hard for Daddy to make the sacrifices he makes for us and for the country. He misses out on a lot, and misses you and your brother so very much!

Unlike your brother, you haven't really taken to it. Once he started, he never stopped. You still seem to prefer crawling, which is fine by me. I'm not sure I can take both you and your brother running around yet. You are fast enough crawling. :0)

Daddy was very proud of you when I told him, but sad that he missed it too. He called us on Skype so that he could watch you open some gifts and see you eat your "smash" cake. We even all sang you happy birthday, though our timing was all off because of the time delay on the computer. It is the thought that counts, right?

You did not smash said cake though. Mommy made you an owl. After examining it from every angle for awhile, you reached out and started picking at it very delicately, not smashing at all. It was really very sweet and dainty...until Mommy realized that you were picking at the eyes. You ate them very carefully until they were gone. I thought it was kind of funny, but also a little creepy. 

It has been an amazing year, my sweet boy. I have loved watching the little person you are bloom in front of me, and I am looking forward to watching that person develop as you get older. Happy birthday, Sebastian Robert Magnus! I adore you!

Until next time, be good, be happy, and know that I love you.

Love,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment